Software development has long been a thriving industry with developers working continuously to improve the quality of products they offer to customers. Trends like machine learning, cloud computing, and augmented reality are increasing in importance every day. As such, we have observed their rapid growth gaining enormous popularity among tech enthusiasts while everybody is struggling to understand what is going on from a business perspective. When it comes to software development trends, the fact that there are so many factors involved makes it hard to predict future developments. We will focus on the top three software trends that will shape our industry by 2021. These predictions are based on market analysis by our industry experts and will remain relevant for at least the next five years.
Some best Software Development Trends
It will be interesting to see how far we can go with software development and how all of us who are working in the field of software engineering and offshore software development will fare. This article is based on my point of view, so it’s going to be objective, but at the same time, I will try to give you some insights into our work and guide your future considerations. Some latest software development trends are:
AI-first software is about taking advantage of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) methods to automate business processes. It’s an approach to software development and design focused on thinking outside the box, and automated methods that result in higher quality output. Sometimes called “invisible software,” AI-first software is written by a human expert using standard programming methods but instead of software being designed by a computer, it’s designed by a human.
Help increase security and efficiency
Automated Intrusion Detection (AID) is a proactive, defense-in-depth technology that helps protect organizations from unauthorized access, data theft, and intellectual property theft.
- AI tasks are 24/7 and require little human supervision: Ai is becoming more and more prevalent in almost everything that we do. From search to manufacturing, AI is being used to automate tasks that were before handled by people.
- Strategic insights for small business owners: Artificial intelligence and machine learning software can revolutionize the way you do business by mapping the value chain, spotting opportunities, and providing critical insights to improve operational efficiency
- Assistance in making rapid and effective decisions.: It’s particularly useful for complex situations such as determining which actions will generate profit in the short term based on information currently available but not in time to take action on that information.
Blockchain beyond the financial sector
The financial sector has largely been left out of blockchain technology because it is too small. Compared to the $3 trillion spent on financial services each year, blockchain stands out as a potentially transformative force that will deliver fundamental changes to how finance operates. With a network of over 120,000 companies utilizing its technology and ecosystem, blockchain is well-positioned to bring financial services back to the people.
- Insurance and healthcare benefit
- Industry supply chain security
- Banking data security
- Supporting future business models in IoT and FinTech
- Digital Identity management. Increased trust through improved traceability of transactions
- Capacity to build new markets and business models
- Opportunities for emerging economies (digital divide)
- Incentives for local processing
Using low-code development gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility in developing your applications. There are many, many ways of extending the functionality of low-code applications. For example, you can extend an existing application using an existing component as a dependency and not have to implement everything yourself. Using a third-party library also allows for quite a bit of customization without having to rewrite the entire application. You may have done this before using another person’s library but did not realize it was possible to do so until someone pointed it out to you.
Gartner forecasts that by 2024, more than 65 percent of all software development projects will involve low-code platforms.
- Low-code development systems allow you to create applications with the help of a drag and drop functionality
- Low-code tools have powerful customization capabilities
- It also provides the possibility to combine multiple Low-code frameworks
- Predictive analytics allows you to run simulations of different scenarios before generating code
- The ability to create and run applications without additional programming skill is crucial
- Not limited to any programming language
- Transparency is provided to users and management as well as to the business process that adds layers of checks and balances on the security and integrity of the live application
Progressive Web Apps (PWAs)
- They are fastly accessible to the community
- PWAs work on multiple platforms
- Everything is fast and easy
- It can work offline, with no servers involved
- Expand capabilities as user needs change
- Rely on regular web development skillsets
- Available in any browser
- They can be made for any device or platform
There are huge opportunities in software development right now, but they require a different set of skills than the standard CS curriculum. Software engineering business trends can bring benefits as early as 2021.